Aris621

Re: Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Postby aollivier » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:09 am

Aris621 wrote:
Blue Keys wrote:Sylenth
Nexus
Massive

Damn... Back to the old-school.

honestly they still do the trick ! but yeah the next generation's best trio of soft synths is spire, synthmaster, serum. I find myself using sylenth a lot for generic easy sounds like supersaws or even massive for noise layer to make my leads pop !
aollivier

Postby Aris621 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:25 pm

aollivier wrote:
Aris621 wrote:
Blue Keys wrote:Sylenth
Nexus
Massive

Damn... Back to the old-school.

honestly they still do the trick ! but yeah the next generation's best trio of soft synths is spire, synthmaster, serum. I find myself using sylenth a lot for generic easy sounds like supersaws or even massive for noise layer to make my leads pop !

I was talking about the fact that people still reply to the original post, not about his choice of synths.
*Ding Dong*
Aris621

Postby WickyNiik » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Hey guys,

How I can make exactly this in Ableton? What is the best way to transpose kicks in ableton like in this video?

Thanks!
WickyNiik

Postby benobi » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi guys

I am having trouble with the sustain of a 1 bar note. I am using Kontakt 5 > Session Strings Library. I have written out an 8 bar, 8 note violin melody. When I press play on FL Studio the sustain will cut short on a random note each time. So it sounds like I have left a gap in the melody when I have not. Does anyone know how I can fix it?
benobi

Postby Aris621 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:06 pm

WickyNiik wrote:Hey guys,

How I can make exactly this in Ableton? What is the best way to transpose kicks in ableton like in this video?

Thanks!

Just transpose the kick and merge it with the untransposed clean attack. You can do that in any DAW. You don't need an external sample editor like Edison just to transpose an audio sample. I guess you know how to work in Ableton, so you should know how to transpose samples and how to use fades. If not, there is a manual for stuff like this.
*Ding Dong*
Aris621

Postby Aris621 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:12 pm

benobi wrote:Hi guys

I am having trouble with the sustain of a 1 bar note. I am using Kontakt 5 > Session Strings Library. I have written out an 8 bar, 8 note violin melody. When I press play on FL Studio the sustain will cut short on a random note each time. So it sounds like I have left a gap in the melody when I have not. Does anyone know how I can fix it?

Maybe some of the samples from your Kontact library are just not long enough for a 1 bar note? Try a different string library and see if it makes any difference.
*Ding Dong*
Aris621

Postby WickyNiik » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Aris621 wrote:
WickyNiik wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks!

Just transpose the kick and merge it with the untransposed clean attack. You can do that in any DAW. You don't need an external sample editor like Edison just to transpose an audio sample. I guess you know how to work in Ableton, so you should know how to transpose samples and how to use fades. If not, there is a manual for stuff like this.

Ok, thanks for the answer.

I just wonder if normal transpose knob has the same "quality" like external sample editors or vst plugs like for example SoundShifter.
But if its no matter, then I just would use normal transpose in clip/sample view in Ableton.

And I have next question: Why sometimes Tuner in Ableton do not show the key of the kick sample? I just install Gtune to see if this plug show the key, but all the same, Gtune do not know key information too...
Do you now why?
Or is there any way how I can make that Tuner show every sample key?

Thanks!
WickyNiik

Postby Aris621 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:31 pm

WickyNiik wrote:Ok, thanks for the answer.

I just wonder if normal transpose knob has the same "quality" like external sample editors or vst plugs like for example SoundShifter.
But if its no matter, then I just would use normal transpose in clip/sample view in Ableton.

And I have next question: Why sometimes Tuner in Ableton do not show the key of the kick sample? I just install Gtune to see if this plug show the key, but all the same, Gtune do not know key information too...
Do you now why?

Thanks!

Plugins like SoundShifter are applying 'pitch shifting' to the audio, which is not the same as 'transposing'. When using pitch shifting, you're changing the pitch without affecting the audio's length. This is different from regularly transposing a sample, which will also affect the sample's length. However, pitch shifting also results into phase artifacts that will probably mess up the character of your whole kick drum. In most cases, tuning the pitch of your kick drum by transposing it a couple of semitones usually works perfectly fine.

But if you'd still like to use pitch shifting to tune it's pitch, you can just do that within Ableton itself. Just enable 'warping' for your sample and select the right warping mode (either 'complex' or 'complex pro' will work for this). Now if you transpose the sample with 'warping' enabled, it will actually use pitch shifting to pitch your sample.

Also, Ableton's Tuner does a great job on detecting key values. But if you're using a kick without a proper detectable pitch (when using short kick drums or a kick with a long decaying pitch envelope), it doesn't really settle on a certain key, so key-detectors can't identify it's key because the kick doesn't really have a key in the first place.

Also keep in mind that tuning the pitch of your kick drums is not always necessary. Your kick drum doesn't always have to be "in key" with the track to make it sound good and work well within the mix. Sometimes it can work perfectly the way it is.
*Ding Dong*
Aris621

Postby WickyNiik » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 am

Aris621 wrote:
WickyNiik wrote:Ok, thanks for the answer.

Do you now why?

Thanks!

Plugins like SoundShifter are applying 'pitch shifting' to the audio, which is not the same as 'transposing'. When using pitch shifting, you're changing the pitch without affecting the audio's length. This is different from regularly transposing a sample, which will also affect the sample's length. However, pitch shifting also results into phase artifacts that will probably mess up the character of your whole kick drum. In most cases, tuning the pitch of your kick drum by transposing it a couple of semitones usually works perfectly fine.

But if you'd still like to use pitch shifting to tune it's pitch, you can just do that within Ableton itself. Just enable 'warping' for your sample and select the right warping mode (either 'complex' or 'complex pro' will work for this). Now if you transpose the sample with 'warping' enabled, it will actually use pitch shifting to pitch your sample.

Also, Ableton's Tuner does a great job on detecting key values. But if you're using a kick without a proper detectable pitch (when using short kick drums or a kick with a long decaying pitch envelope), it doesn't really settle on a certain key, so key-detectors can't identify it's key because the kick doesn't really have a key in the first place.

Also keep in mind that tuning the pitch of your kick drums is not always necessary. Your kick drum doesn't always have to be "in key" with the track to make it sound good and work well within the mix. Sometimes it can work perfectly the way it is.

Thanks again for answer :)

But, you say that tuning kick drums is not always necessary. Can you please explain me this little bit more? Why is sometimes good not transpose kicks? And in which situations is tuning not always necessary?
WickyNiik

Postby Aris621 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 pm

WickyNiik wrote:Thanks again for answer :)

But, you say that tuning kick drums is not always necessary. Can you please explain me this little bit more? Why is sometimes good not transpose kicks? And in which situations is tuning not always necessary?

What do I need to explain further about it? Just use your ears!
If it sounds good the way it is, than leave it. It's not a rule that you should always tune your (kick) drums to the key of your track.

The same goes for processing. Many people say you should ALWAYS process EVERY single sound with eq, compression, etc., which is bullsh*t. If the unprocessed sound already sounds they way you want it to be, and it isn't causing any problems within the context of the mix, than there is absolutely no reason to process it with things it won't need. You can't solve problems that aren't even there in the first place...
*Ding Dong*
Aris621

Postby atte_hakkarainen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:34 am

Sprungk wrote:guys i have a question about stereo imaging. Is there a rule which frequencys should be where in the stereo image? Like lows in mono but what about mids, and highs?

thanks in advance

That is a good question. As mentioned, it depends on what your main goals are and in the end, what sounds good to your ear.

Although good things to keep in mind when considering widening your stereo image:
- don't over-do it (you don't want the track sound "too wide" -> otherwise the track loses its focus and the main things can get lost in the mix)
- In the mastering process, I personally like to have a tiny stereo image boost in the mid-range of 1-2khz and a bit more stereo widening in the high end from 7khz everything above.
- widening stereo image is not necessary to have a bad ass track but in general it is highly recommended to consider where all the instruments take place in the mix (percussions, synths, etc.) because there is indeed some difference between a track that has wider stereo image parts and a track where everything sits right in the middle.

Hope this helps!!
atte_hakkarainen

Postby WickyNiik » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Aris621 wrote:
WickyNiik wrote:Thanks again for answer :)

What do I need to explain further about it? Just use your ears!
If it sounds good the way it is, than leave it. It's not a rule that you should always tune your (kick) drums to the key of your track.

The same goes for processing. Many people say you should ALWAYS process EVERY single sound with eq, compression, etc., which is bullsh*t. If the unprocessed sound already sounds they way you want it to be, and it isn't causing any problems within the context of the mix, than there is absolutely no reason to process it with things it won't need. You can't solve problems that aren't even there in the first place...

Ok, I just ask this questions because in almost every tutorial on YT people says that tuning kick to the key of the track is so important. But yes, like you said if its sounds good then its good.
WickyNiik

Postby Jac+Harri » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi guys,

I'm using this track by Kaaze called Haartz as a reference for a new electro track I'm working on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgiZT38wo3I

I believe I have identified the elements I need in the form of synths, chords, bass and percussion etc. When comparing my drop to his, mine just doesn't have the same impact. I was hoping that people could listen to the drop of this track and try and explain why they think it hits so hard. Also feel free to share some tips on mixing to get this sort of end result. There seems to be very little dynamic range in this drop is this all down to compression and loudness on the master? Or is there something I can do before it gets to that stage?

Any help in achieving this kind of result would be appreciated!

thank you,

Jac
Jac+Harri

Next

Return to Music