Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Moderators: Laidback Luke, Rasta Eddy, tonyflexx

Re: Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Postby Hrelja » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:41 am

Hey guys

I'm looking to get a new laptop in the next month or two.

As I am not really following what is going on in the hardware world, do you have any recommendations in the range of 600-800 euro? My upper limit is 750ish euro, and I can stretch it to 800 if it is for something outstanding.

Things I am not sure about:

1) i7-7500U vs i5-whatever vs AMD
I currently have an i5 from 2010 and it can do a fair amount of what I want it to, but more power is always better. Not sure if the difference between i5 and i7 is worth the additional money. Also, I don't know anything about AMD but saw ImageLine post something about testing an AMD pc a couple months ago.


2) SSD or not
Is the opinion that SSDs are bad for music production/recording still valid or? I don't record stuff, just produce.

3) is more than 8GB RAM really needed?

4) should I wait if there is a new generation of processors coming out and is said to be at least decent?
"The DAW doesn't suck, you do."

- FL Studio Help, point number 3.
Hrelja
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: 40 people village

Re: Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Postby Sambrosa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:14 pm

aollivier wrote:
JOEF wrote:Hey Guys! One question to FUTURE BASS! :)

When I mix my drop... How should I mix my Kick and Subbas? I mean if I simply sidechain my Sub there are still conflicts going on between my Kick Frequency (<60hz) and my Sub.. Should I cut my Sub or sth and only my Kick is the Sub? But than the drop isn´t that energetic? Should I cut my kick but than the kick sounds like crap?
How do you guys handle this?

Thanks!!


Just sidechain more, because kick, sub, bass are going to share frequencies inevitably. Try to focus one octave for the sub, the other for the sub (EQ john christian video on youtube). For future bass there's a solid tutorial full length, free on sonic academy's channel (youtube also)


Using a small kick helps a lot too.
https://soundcloud.com/sambrosamusic
facebook.com/sambrosamusic
User avatar
Sambrosa
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Postby CrisRoyal » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Hrelja wrote:Hey guys

I'm looking to get a new laptop in the next month or two.

As I am not really following what is going on in the hardware world, do you have any recommendations in the range of 600-800 euro? My upper limit is 750ish euro, and I can stretch it to 800 if it is for something outstanding.

Things I am not sure about:

1) i7-7500U vs i5-whatever vs AMD
I currently have an i5 from 2010 and it can do a fair amount of what I want it to, but more power is always better. Not sure if the difference between i5 and i7 is worth the additional money. Also, I don't know anything about AMD but saw ImageLine post something about testing an AMD pc a couple months ago.


2) SSD or not
Is the opinion that SSDs are bad for music production/recording still valid or? I don't record stuff, just produce.

3) is more than 8GB RAM really needed?

4) should I wait if there is a new generation of processors coming out and is said to be at least decent?


Man, what I can assure you is you don't want to have a dual core/ 4 threads processor on your production laptop, the 7500U is not good for producing. Get an older laptop with an i7 QM with 4 cores/8threads. If you don't use many samples and recorded stuff an SSD is not necessary.Just do yourself the favor and buy a laptop with a decent processor.
CrisRoyal
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:53 am

Re: Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Postby Rasta Eddy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:06 pm

CrisRoyal wrote:
Hrelja wrote:Hey guys

I'm looking to get a new laptop in the next month or two.

As I am not really following what is going on in the hardware world, do you have any recommendations in the range of 600-800 euro? My upper limit is 750ish euro, and I can stretch it to 800 if it is for something outstanding.

Things I am not sure about:

1) i7-7500U vs i5-whatever vs AMD
I currently have an i5 from 2010 and it can do a fair amount of what I want it to, but more power is always better. Not sure if the difference between i5 and i7 is worth the additional money. Also, I don't know anything about AMD but saw ImageLine post something about testing an AMD pc a couple months ago.


2) SSD or not
Is the opinion that SSDs are bad for music production/recording still valid or? I don't record stuff, just produce.

3) is more than 8GB RAM really needed?

4) should I wait if there is a new generation of processors coming out and is said to be at least decent?


Man, what I can assure you is you don't want to have a dual core/ 4 threads processor on your production laptop, the 7500U is not good for producing. Get an older laptop with an i7 QM with 4 cores/8threads. If you don't use many samples and recorded stuff an SSD is not necessary.Just do yourself the favor and buy a laptop with a decent processor.


But you don't want a HDD disk drive anymore these days. I mean, it's 2017. SSD's have become way more affordable. Just save a bit more and go with an SSD or replace afterwards if your laptop can be opened easily. Go for a Samsung SSD because of the easy cloning tool that comes along with it without having to reinstall Windows, if you can find a USB to sata+power cable to connect the SSD externally first :!:
Rasta Eddy
 
Posts: 5546
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:39 pm

Re: Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Postby DDavis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Hey guys! would you mind supporting a remix I did for a spinnin contets?
& please tell me your opinion.

Remix: https://soundcloud.com/user-259091448/b ... is-remix-1
YOU CAN VOTE HERE: tlnt.pl/X1uwqP
DDavis
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Postby DDavis » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:21 am

Heeey
Would you mind listening to a remix I made for a contest?
Lemme know what you think

https://soundcloud.com/user-259091448/n ... ix-contest
DDavis
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Best plugin to find the key of a sample

Postby DJQtippp » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 am

I use logic and was wondering if anyone had any plugin suggestions for a plugin that helps you find the key of samples instead of logics stock pitch corrector?
Thanks
DJQtippp
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 8:51 am

Re: Best plugin to find the key of a sample

Postby WickyNiik » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:21 pm

DJQtippp wrote:I use logic and was wondering if anyone had any plugin suggestions for a plugin that helps you find the key of samples instead of logics stock pitch corrector?
Thanks


Very good plugin is GTune.
Ralph from Bassjackers use this plugin.
WickyNiik
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:34 pm


Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron